Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Shrimp is the fruit of the sea

'Bubba was from Bayou la Batrie, Alabama, and his mama cooked shrimp. And her mama before her cooked shrimp, and her mama before her mama cooked shrimp, too. Bubba's family knew everything there was to know about the shrimpin' business.' ~ Forrest - Forrest Gump

If there’s one thing I love its shrimp! Two of my favourite dishes are my mum's prawn curry and her curried fried prawns. They were always a special treat at Christmas time when I was a kid and now she always makes them when I go home to visit, which happens a lot less then I would like.

When I was in Hawaii I really wanted to go to a newish American chain that had opened up called Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. It was meant to have fantastic shrimp so I couldn't wait to try it out. Unfortunately we just didn’t get the time. I was pretty disappointed but there wasn’t much I could do about it.

About six months ago on facebook I saw a friend tag herself at a Bubba Gumps restaurant...but in London! First thought was, how could there be one in London that I did not know about!! Second thought, time to get myself down there. You would think I would have got there straight away but again it just didn’t line up.

Fast forward 6 months and the day finally came. Two friends and I headed over to Coventry Street to check out the much anticipated Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. London.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. London
13 Coventry St
London
W1D 7AB



It did not disappoint!

From the quote above I am guessing you have already realised the restaurant originated out of the Tom Hanks movie Forest Gump. The restaurant itself is a true movie themed experience. The effort they have put in to make you feel like you are in the movie is awesome. I loved it.


The food was really good and the drinks were…well…interesting.

We weren’t in the mood for alcohol so we got
Two Strawberry Speckled Lemonades and a Frozen Lemon-Ups mango flavoured.


They were so sour with the lemon but in a weird way enjoyable lol I don’t know how to explain that.


For food we got a
Shrimper’s Heaven


Hand Breaded Coconut Shrimp, Chilled Peel ‘n’ Eat Shrimp, Fried Shrimp, and Japanese style Tempura Shrimp with Fries. And of course great Dippin’ Sauces like Tangy Asian, Cajun Marmalade, and Zesty Cocktail.
 

And a Forrest’s Seafood Feast


Hand Breaded Southern Fried Shrimp, Seafood Hush Pups, Fish & Chips, Coleslaw… And
don’t forget the delicious Sauces for dippin’ –Tartar, Cocktail and Remoulade.


The shrimp was really tasty and we got enough fries to feed an army…literally. Probably overkill as you get a cone of fries and then at the bottom of every cone of shrimp is more fries!

The Fish was also really good. For those who do not know the American Hushpuppy, it is usually deep fried small balls of cornmeal batter. The Bubba Gump version is shrimp and fish with golden corn, deep fried. I hadn’t had anything like it before and they weren’t bad or anything but they just didn’t compare to the shrimp.

The Japanese style Tempura Shrimp was my favourite by far. Nom Nom Nom.

We couldn’t pass up dessert and they also did not disappoint but we are talking a serious sugar injection from these desserts.

We got a
Mama’s Best Strawberry Shortcake


Key Lime Pie


Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae
Fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookie served warm
with Vanilla Ice Cream, topped with Chocolate and
Caramel Sauce, Peanuts and Whipped Cream.



I had the Mamas best strawberry shortcake and it was soooo good. I tried a few bites of the other to and they were pretty damn good as well.

There are 43 restaurants worldwide. 29 are in the US, 4 are in Mexico, 3 in Malaysia and one in London, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan and the Philippines. So if you are near any of these places and you love yourself some shrimp, get yourself over to one and try it out.

'Like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.' Bubba - Forrest Gump

No comments:

Post a Comment