Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Food escape

If I could, I wouldn’t work and I would just travel the world!
I am the most happy when I am on the road or zipping off on a plane to some new place I’ve never been. I love experiencing new cultures, different environments and of course new food. Unfortunately unless I win the lotto, the not working and travelling the world instead won’t be happening anytime soon.


So when I can’t travel far, I head out for food that’s going to bring me the taste of a different place. It’s almost as good…sort of. *smiles*

Last night was Mexican, one of my favourites. I headed out to Shepard’s Bush Westfield with some friends and we hit up Wahaca.

Wahaca describe themselves as a Mexican chain diner with a lively soundtrack for small plates of market-style food and cocktails.

The general concession with my friends and family is you either love or hate Wahaca but I disagree. I definitely don’t hate it but it isn’t one of the best Mexicans I’ve been to. It is however good tasty food at a decent price, which means I’m always up for it when suggested.

The thing I love about Wahaca is the small street food plates. I rarely get the big dishes. Last night I went with four friends so we got a lot of small dishes and each one was just as good as the next and really tasty.

We got

Guacamole with tortilla chips
Freshly made every day with Hass avocados & freshly squeezed lime juice



Grilled British steak Tacos
Three toasted soft corn tortillas with flash grilled skirt steak with meco salsa and tomatillo guac with grilled cheese & salsa



Chicken Caesar Tostadas
Two crispy corn tortillas topped with shredded chicken coated in a creamy Caesar dressing with crisp Cos



Tender, marinated chicken Taquitos
Two corn tortillas filled, rolled and fried into crispy cigars & served with shredded salads, salsas, poached chicken seasoned with lime & black pepper, Lancashire cheese & smoky meco salsa



Pinto bean & cheese Quesadillas
Large toasted tortilla oozing with melting mozzarella and creamy pinto beans with a hint of chipotle

and a
Chorizo & squash Quesadillas
Large toasted tortilla oozing with melting mozzarella and British chorizo, made to our own special recipe, with diced butter



Corn & bean salad
Mixed salad leaves tossed with diced avocado, corn & bean salsa topped with toasted pumpkin seeds



And best for last (clearly the best as we got four portions of just this!)
Sweet potato & feta Taquitos
Two blue corn tortillas filled, rolled and fried into crispy cigars & served with shredded salads, salsas, roasted sweet potato, feta & caramelised red onion with crema, salsa fresca & chipotle mayo.



The food was really good and definitely made me feel like I was escaping London for a little bit and pretending I was in Mexico, with my friends, grabbing some street food and feeding our faces!

I am not a big drinker myself but I hear they have some pretty fantastic cocktails. I did have a fresh apple juice which was amazing. I drank it within about 30 seconds though and it was the same price as a small dish of food…*yikes*

If you haven’t been before, it’s worth checking out. I don't think you will be disappointed unless you are a Mexican food affascinato *cheeky grins* 

There are so many locations so I won’t list them but you can find your closest one at http://www.wahaca.co.uk/locations/

(The Mexican “Bon Appétit”)

No comments:

Post a Comment