Saturday, August 22, 2015

My Berlin Food Journey – Part 6 German food in Germany!

This is my last instalment of My Berlin Food Journey and I saved the best for last. German food in Germany!

German food doesn’t generally have the best name for itself because it’s a bit stodgy. It’s pretty heavy, rich food using a lot of butter, cheese and sour cream to flavour dishes more than herbs and spices like other cuisines. Preserved foods i.e. pickled cabbage, sausage, etc. are very popular.

With German food being so heavy we didn’t eat a lot of it while we were out there but for a special treat one night we went to Augustiner am endarmenmarkt a well-known Bavarian-style beer hall serving South German cuisine.



Augustiner am endarmenmarkt
Charlottenstraße 55
10117 Berlin
Germany
 

The restaurant is affiliated with Augustiner-Brau, a brewery in Munich that was established all the way back in 1328. It is the oldest independent brewery in Munich. I had a really nice Augustiner Pils which I talked about in my post My Berlin Food Journey – Part 1 Snacks and Drinks.

Food wise we ordered some really great stuff. In true German style it was very rich and heavy but tasty, tasty, tasty.

We got the typical German favourites
Beef goulash with Augustiner dark beer, Swabian egg noodles and sour cream


The Original: crisp knuckle of pork in one piece (1000g) with Bavarian cabbage


Cheese noodles Allgau style with leaf spinach


And for dessert the warm apple strudel with vanilla sauce


I thought the food was really good but in saying that I ate this much of it


And a few bites of the strudel and was soooo full. We shared the dishes between four of us and there was still some left! Definitely a lot richer and heavier food type than I would normal have but I really enjoyed trying it out. 

I would recommend it for sure. Not for every night but a nice treat one night to get a good authentic taste of German food. It is a must!

Well that's it for my series on Berlin, hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed eating and drinking it all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment