Sunday, August 16, 2015

My Berlin Food Journey – Part 4 Change of cuisine

One of my favourite things about Berlin was all the different cultures that seem to be represented. From the diverse art scene, cultural institutes and of course the food. In past posts I’ve discussed the Turkish influence, My Berlin Food Journey – Part 2 Hasir and My Berlin Food Journey – Part 3 To kebab or not to kebab.

Today I am going to talk about a few other cuisines I tired while out in Berlin.

I can’t believe I hadn’t tried it before, but I am glad I got to try my first taste of Sudanese food on my first night there.


We went to a great little place called Sahara
Sahara
Reuterstr. 56
12047 Berlin
Germany
Neukölln




I got a falafel & Halumi sandwich and it was ridiculously good and it only cost 3 Euros!


The peanut sauce is what made it. I don’t even know how to explain how tasty the sauce is. It isn’t fancy but you’re really just in and out and the most important thing, the food tastes good and the staff are friendly.


I am generally not a fan of falafel but this was well-seasoned and fresh. If this place was in the UK I would be there every week! It’s a must the next time you are in Berlin.

From my blog you’ve probably notice my love of Dim sum/Yumcha so I was pretty chuffed when my friend suggested going to Yumcha one night.

We headed over to Yumcha Heroes
Yumcha Heroes
Weinbergsweg 8
10119 Berlin
Germany
Mitte


I wasn’t blown away but by no means was it bad. I think with Yumcha it can be a bit hit and miss if you chose the wrong dishes and that’s probably what I did.

I got the roast beef rolls which are filled Chinese pancakes, served cold with tender roast beef, Peking Duck sauce, cucumber, carrots and leek.


I wasn’t a huge fan of them. I can’t really put my finger on why though so I am guessing it was my more personal taste preference than that they were bad.

I shared the honey spare ribs which was honey-glazed spare ribs, pak choi with ginger-soy-sauce.


These were probably the best savory part of the meal. The meat was tender and the sauce was really good.

I also shared the orange prawn’s dumplings (Prawns, water chestnuts, Schezuan pepper, egg, and bamboo)


I felt the dumplings were maybe a little under cooked as the casing was chewy and I didn’t like that aspect but the filling was really good.

My other friend got the Shanghai dumplings, one of the restaurant favorites and known as the mother of all dumplings with steamed Minced pork, Schezuan pepper, ginger, hot broth inside.

She really like these and they looked more cooked than the orange prawn.

My vegetarian friend got the vegetarian fried rice-paper roll filled with glass noodles, ginger, zucchini, carrots, Shiitake mushroom and bamboo.


She liked them but I thought it looked a little greasy. They may have been better seamed than fried.

She also got the green veggie dumplings filled with glass noodles, zucchini, Shiitake mushroom, bamboo and carrots


Again these looked better cooked than the orange prawn ones and she enjoyed them.

The best part of the meal was definitely the dessert. Usually Dim Sum/Yumcha places don’t do dessert, if they do its either jelly or fruit but this place had a few different dessert options that sounded really good.

We shared the Tang Bao which is 2 yeast dumplings filled with hot chocolate-nougat crème with vanilla sauce.


It was really yummy and was the highlight of the meal so make sure you leave some room for it if you go check out Yumcha Heroes.

I would go back again and try a few of the other dishes and of course get that dessert again. I also saw a lot of other places while we were walking around that I would have loved to try if we had, had more time. Most of the places not only looked great but seemed reasonably priced, which can sometimes be hard to find in London.

I know London has a lot of great restaurant from all different cultural cuisines but its funny how I always seem to try more when I’m on holiday. Just gives me an excuse to travel more I guess *smiles*

No comments:

Post a Comment