Friday, August 21, 2015

My Berlin Food Journey – Part 5 Sweet treat time

Ever since I was a little kid I have had a pretty bad sweet tooth. I love sweets, cakes, cookies, ice cream! If it has sugar I generally love it. As I have gotten older I have learned to control my sweet cravings but I still indulge every now and then and when better to indulge then when you are on holiday.

Before heading to Berlin I’ll admit I didn’t do a whole lot of research so I was really lucky our hosts were so great and knew all the best spots to hit. One of the best, for sure, was Fraulein Frost in Maybachufer.

Fraulein Frost
Friedelstr. 39
12047 Berlin
Germany
Neukölln
 
Has to be the best ice cream I think I have ever tasted!

It has the most bizarre selection of flavours. The weirdest being GuZiMi which is cucumber, cinnamon and mint, which is a big favourite with locals. Being allergic to mint I passed on this one and went for tiramisu and it was ridiculously good!


The best bit about it is all the ingredients are organic so that means it’s good for you, right? So you can eat as much as you want, right?

It wasn’t till I came back to London that I found out it is one of the most famous and popular shops in the Kreuzkölln area where the Kreuzberg and Neukölln district meet. Despite all the unique flavours and its popularity it’s still only roughly 1 Euro per scoop. You cant beat that and I can’t wait to head back to Berlin and try some more of the flavours.

The next sweet treat spot we hit was the amazing Fassbender & Rausch.

Fassbender & Rausch Chocolatiers
Charlottenstraße 60
10117 Berlin
Germany


The story behind this store is pretty cool. There was two main chocolate making families in Berlin. Fassbender whose chocolates were regarded as so fine they were supplied to the royal court and Rausch who was so successful with their first store, they opened seven more.

In 1999, the two chocolate making families came together to become Fassbender & Rausch Chocolatiers at the Gendarmenmark. Happy chocolate families! The business remains family owned to this day. Jürgen Rausch is currently in charge at the flagship store which is the one we visited.

 
One thing I really liked about them is they make a point to let their customers know they only engage with supplier who work in ecologically sound cocoa production and maintain the standard of quality outlined in the Rausch cacao manual. Always good to know you are supporting a company that is working ethically.

Though the raw materials are sourced from around the world, the chocolates are manufactured locally at a factory in Tempelh which is pretty cool.

It’s like walking into the chocolate store from Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, with chocolate versions of anything and everything you can think of.




Be warned though, don’t try to take a bite because although they are made of chocolate they are lacquered in vanish!

I myself indulged in the Rausch Plantagen Chocolate range. It had eight different chocolate bars. The cacao for each type comes exclusively from individual plantations from Trinidad, Ecuador, Peru, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Madagascar and Papua New Guinea. They were soooo good. Even better than my favourite chocolate of all time Lindt!

 
If a chocolate bar isn't your thing try the small chocolates pieces or the cakes. They have glass display cases containing sixteen different kinds cakes and loads of different flavours of chocolate pieces that you can get packed up to take home.

 
There are also lots of great gift ideas
 

Lastly there is a café on the second floor with an amazing view of the famous domes of the Gendarmenmarkt. We unfortunately, on this visit didn’t get to indulge in anything at the café but it is on the list for the next trip! Yet another reason to head back to Berlin.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment