Monday, October 5, 2015

British love

Something I love about Britain is the pub culture. You have probably noticed this from my Chiswick pubs series reviewing The Old PackhorseThe BolloThe Gunnersbury, The Pilot, The Lamb and Smokehouse. I, of course don’t just go to pubs in Chiswick.

One of my favourite pubs in London is The Black Lion on Kilburn high road.

The Black Lion
274 Kilburn High Road
London NW6 2BY
West Hampstead



The Black Lion pub is a beautiful old English pub steeped in history dating back to the Roman times. It has a friendly atmosphere and the service is really polite and upbeat, the people who work there seem like they really enjoy it. In the winter it even has open fires surrounded by couches where you can snuggle up with a winter warm drink.  I really love the atmospheric Victorian charm it has about it.

The food is delicious and what I would consider pretty reasonably priced. The quality and freshness of the food is second to none and I have never had anything I didn’t like.

I usually opt for the Tapas menu where you can get 4 plates for £14. This way I get to taste a lot of different flavours and its great way to share food with friends.

Looking over the Tapas menu now I realise I have tired most of the dishes on there!

Some of my favourites are

Italian style mixed olives

Fresh pitta break & homemade hummus


Toasted bruschetta with tomato, onions & cucumber


Deep fried calamari and hand cut triple cooked chips


Trio of sliders, chicken, pulled pork and beef


They also have great Sunday roast options. Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Pork belly and vegetarian Wellington. The biggest range of roasts I’ve seen in pub.

I have tried the Lamb

and the ½ corn feed chicken


Both were very good. The Yorkshire puddings were the best I think I have ever had. The veggies were so so but with the gravy were very tasty. The meat (both the lamb and chicken) was tender and full of flavour. Exactly how you want a Sunday roast to be. It is literally drenched in gravy though so if you aren’t a big fan make sure to request yours on the side.

I actually haven’t ever had the A La Carte menu but they seem to have a good range of starters, mains and desserts in a very traditional English pub style. I can’t see them not being as good as the tapas or Sunday roasts so I look forward to trying some of the dishes one day…especially the chocolate brownie!

The Black lion is also a lovely place to just go for a drink. They do some really great cocktails and of course they have lots of beers and wines.


There is nothing about the Black Lion I don't like so go check it out and let me know what you guys think.

No comments:

Post a Comment